Sunday, February 8, 2009

[Interview] Mock MMI: tips I learned, and why I LOVE MED STUDENTS

Tonight, I met some 1st and 2nd year med students at 6:45, who organized a mock interview with 10 stations for 14 of us. It's now 11:30, and I just got back, being dropped off by a super awesome interviewer who stayed and talked to the very last anxious interviewee.

I'm so thrilled by this process and how much I learned, that I'm now typing this up fast -- still in my suit because I don't have time to take it off.

So, firstly, these are what I learned:

1. Avoid the law. Some situations are complicated with legal consequences, such as when your patient died, but the reviewing committee wants to see your empathetic response. How you feel for the patients, how you express your sincerity, how you approach the situation with warmth and honesty. Screw the hospital protocols; be the genuine, caring person that you are.

2. A big part about being a doctor is educating the patients. When the patients or your friends have some stuff that needs education, take that opportunity and tell them the correct information. Don't assume they are joking when they think STD stands for standard deviation.

3. Explore both sides of the argument when two conflicting sides exist. Even when you are clearly in favor of one side, if there is a dilemma, there has to be a strong argument for the other side as well. Explore that side of the situation and explain why you disagree with it.

4. Explain the thinking process; for questions that clearly does not have a right answer, the answer is not what's important, how you reach your answers is. Explain what's going through your mind, what values are being weighed on.

5. Explore all relevent areas of the question prompt. When the prompt asks for "what are the issues involved", think about who's involved, who's feelings are affected, what are the consequences of your decisions.

6. When the interviewer asks "do you have anything to add", don't take that as an invitation to babble on. If you reached your optimal, stay there and don't distract the interviewer with repetition.

7. Talk in an appropriate tone for the station. Some stations are more creative and fun, while some are more serious and heavy.

8. When a procedure fails, be mindful of the well being of the entire team: the nurses, the anaesthetist, everyone involved.

9. Read up on the Canadian Medical Association Journal for information on rural doctor shortage: rural doctors are actually getting paid more, but still there is a serious shortage, so the financial incentive is obviously not effective on its own.

10. When wearing a suit jacket, the last button should be undone.


10 comments:

  1. I would love to come to the lunch table on Tues and Thurs. Unfortunately I have something else planned already =( maybe next time ?? btwww, I am going to the teddy bear seminar this friday, are you gonna be there ??!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. [...] night (for various reasons ). Social-wise, I got to know more med students and reconfirmed my finding that these people are the coolest kids in town. They are so dynamic, so unique, and all so [...]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I'm preparing for my UBC med interview in January. I'm interested in getting some practice before the big day. If it's not too much trouble, could you connect me the people in charge of organizing the mock interviews you attended?

    Thanks so much!

    Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonathan, congrats on getting an interview! You are more than halfway to the goal :)

    To prepare for the mock interview, I suggest getting a few friends together and doing interviews on each other. This is the best way to make sure you get some practice with the format. One can always count on one's self more than others ;)

    In terms of a mock interview, actually I'm helping to organize the mock interview this year. We are a bit short staffed right now (wanting to maintain a 1:1 ratio of interviewer and interviewees), but I'll let you know if there's anything I can do once we get the number sorted out.

    Cheers, and stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello, I got a UBC interview invite as well. I am glad to hear the positive comments about the mock mmis. Looking forward to them for sure!!!! What days/times? Will they be on?

    Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi zeroratio,

    I was sifting through google looking for some MMI information as I have my interview coming up on the 23rd of January at UBC. I'm a little nervous to say the least. Any suggestions? Are some mock interviews being planned? I think I read about some of you having sample MMI questions, is this true? Anyways, I enjoyed reading your posts and it somewhat calmed my nerves. Thanks.

    I hope to hear from you soon.

    Cheers,

    Brett.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete